Previously known as the Distinguished Talent visa, the Global Talent Visa Program provides an innovative, streamlined pathway for highly skilled professionals to work and live permanently in Australia. The program supports the economy by attracting international talent with transferable skills that promote innovation while also creating new jobs in Australia.
The program initially focused on applicants from seven specific target sectors, but the government has since expanded their fields of potentiality to 10 different areas. The Federal Government has increased the intake for new participants with 15,000 spots available under this initiative in 2021-2022, three times the 5000-target intake during the scheme’s first year in 2019-20 to support post-COVID-19 health and economic recovery.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THE PROGRAM?
The Global Talent Visa is an attractive option for skilled, eligible candidates over other permanent residency visas. Some of the benefits of the visa program include as below:
- Skills Assessment – The applicant is not required to undertake a skills assessment to apply for a Global Talent Visa.
- Priority Processing – Global Talent Visa is given the highest priority of all Australian migration programs, so the processing time is also relatively short.
- Australian Skilling Fund – Nominator for the Global Talent Visa, does not need to contribute towards the Australian Skilling Fund.
TARGET SECTORS FOR THE PROGRAM
The government is continuing to expand its talent program, and it now includes the below sectors:
- Agri-food and Ag Tech;
- Health industries;
- Defence, advanced manufacturing and space;
- Circular economy;
- Infrastructure and tourism;
- Financial services and FinTech; and
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR THE PROGRAM
To be eligible to apply for a Global Talent Visa:
- You must be under 55 (or any age if you are of exceptional benefit to the Australian community)
- Be nominated by a nominator.
- Hold a valid visa or a bridging visa if you are in Australia.
- Have functional English.
- Meet the Department’s health and character requirements.
- Be of benefit to the Australian community.
- Be able to attract a salary at or above the Fair Work high-income threshold of AUD158,500.
- Have the ability to establish yourself in Australia by demonstrating that you would be able to find work in your field in Australia
- Be internationally recognised with a record of exceptional achievement in your area and is currently prominent in the field.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR A GLOBAL TALENT VISA NOMINATOR
To be eligible for a Global Talent Visa, you must be nominated by a nominator. Depending on your industry, your nominator could be your university, employer, industry body, or peers. Your nominator must also have a national reputation in the same field and must be either an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident, Eligible New Zealand Citizen, or an Australian organisation.
In many cases, the Australian Computer Society and Engineers Australia can also nominate candidates who have proved to be highly skilled applicants.
HOW CAN AUGUSTINE AND CO. ASSIST WITH A GLOBAL TALENT VISA APPLICATION
Augustine & Co. can assist with the whole process – from providing specialist legal advice, applying for nomination and visa applications to addressing any specific requests by a case officer until a decision is made on the visa application.
STEP 1: Submit an Expression of Interest
Interested individuals should submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) with the Department for Home Affairs to be invited and apply to this program. A successful candidate will receive a unique identifier to apply for the visa application.
STEP 2: Complete a Form 1000 – Nomination for Global Talent
Once you have received an invitation and a unique identifier, we will then assist in completing your Form 1000 – Nomination for Global Talent program. Your application will not be considered without a completed Form 1000. Nominators cannot be added or changed after your visa application.
STEP 3: Visa Application
Once your nominator has completed Form 1000, we will assist you with preparing your visa application with the necessary documents for a successful outcome.
PROCESSING TIME FOR THE GLOBAL TALENT VISA
The Global Talent Visa costs AUD4,110 for the main applicant, AUD 2,095.00 for an additional applicant over 18, and AUD 1,045.00 for an applicant under 18 years. The general processing times set by the Department for Global Talent Visa are as follows:
- 75% of applications are processed in 73 days
- 90% of applications are processed in 3 months
Amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic, The Australian Government has set up a “Global Business and Talent Attraction Taskforce” as part of the Australian Government’s Job Maker Plan – to help generate quality jobs for Australians. The Taskforce welcomes expression of interest from individuals and businesses that can build clusters or ecosystems of excellence in priority sectors, conduct cutting-edge research and development, and fill gaps in supply chains. The task force can also directly nominate suitable, exceptionally talented candidates who will significantly contribute to the Australian economy for permanent residency.
If you have more questions or queries, please feel free to book a consultation or give us a call on +61 3 7020 6514.